Sunday, August 14, 2011

Medical Mysteries....a few more sleepless thoughts

Going through cancer treatment has changed me so much.  I was always so private about my body, what I'd share, what I wanted people to see............. but after all of the doctors, procedures, and tests, it's like NO BIG DEAL anymore.  I'm over it.  I just do what I am supposed to do and not think too much about the gross stuff.  It's probably like having a baby....at the end you just want the thing out of you so you don't care what shows.  Ha!

In the past weeks I've thought about about a few things that crack me up.  Here's a few of my thoughts right now:
1.  Constipation.  Constipation should be a four letter word.  There's so much more I could say about this topic but that should tell you all you need to know.
2.  Belly fat.  How come when they took of my boobs my belly seems soooooooo much bigger now?  My sister said that it's always been there but it was hidden below my big boobs, thanks Con!  It has gotten bigger in recent months.....that's another story.
3.  Side fat.  Ok, they remove your boobs and the way the incisions go, the fat on the side of your body is still there, looks stupid, and actually feels like boobs on the side of your body.  The plastic surgeon will be removing much of this during the next reconstructive procedure but in the meantime, GROSS!!!!
4.  Tissue expanders.  I have tissue expanders in place of my boobs.  They are ok for the most part.  Apparently they were put below my chest muscle and can be expanded to whatever size I want.  I'm ok with little ones tho so they are being left alone.
5.  Skin sensitivity.  One breast has almost no feeling at this time,  The other one is hyper sensitive....sometimes it almost kills me to have anything touch it.  Very strange.  They say it "should" go away.  PLEASE do!
6.   Incision healing.  All of my incisions have healed really well with the exception of one big spot.  It won't heal.  It's not really infected but the darn thing is ugly.  Come on medical people, figure it out.
7.  Toe nails.  I know that during chemo they say that the drugs can affect your nails and I had some affects but NOW, so long after chemo, my big toe nails look bad, they look like the may fall off.......really???  What does one do without toe nails?  That's stupid.
8.  Socks and tennis shoes.  Who would think that having your boobs removed would make it so hard to bend over and put on socks and tennis shoes.  It's hard.  The stretching hurts.  It's getting better though.
9.  Lymph nodes.  They took out eleven lymph nodes.  Eleven little things that I am not sure I totally understand their purpose or function.  Eleven little things removed that have made my left arm hard to move, hard to stretch, hard to lift.  Exercises are helping but progress is slow and very frustrating.
10.  All of this being said and despite the grossness of some stuff, it is a miracle that doctors can do all of these surgeries, remove the right stuff, and give people hope that life will go on.  Now they just need to figure out how to cure things.  I sometimes wish they'd stop spending $$$ on cancer commercials and spend more on curing it.

More to come!!!


1 comment:

  1. I got this web page from my buddy who told me regarding this web site and
    now this time I am visiting this site and reading very
    informative content here.

    Also visit my web site :: Prime Recommendations And Tricks For Creating Fashion Exciting |.

    ReplyDelete