Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Can you tell we're related???

Tim decided a while back that he was tired of fussing with his hair and he shaved it short.  Of course I made fun of him....little did I know that one day I would look just like him!  Ha!  Here's a picture of us on our recent trip to Atlanta.

I made the decision to not wear a wig on this trip....just too much work and Tim was ok with it!  It is interesting the reaction you get without hair.  It makes me wonder if before I lost my hair if I looked funny or noticed people without hair.  I bet I did.  It's not that people are being mean, it's the stares that surprise me.  I guess I forget that I look different so when people look, I forget why.

Going through security at the airport in Atlanta was interesting too.  The screener asked if I would take off my hat and I said "I'd rather not." and he was ok with that but the guy by the machine said that I had to pat my hat down so I lifted up my hat, showed him that there was nothing hidden, and he quickly rushed me through.  Adults are so uncomfortable with things like this.

Kids on the other hand are up front and out there.  The second graders came to visit Symons and one second grader as he was leaving came up to me and asked, "Are you bald?" and I said "Yup."  He smiled and said, "Ok."

I am learning so much about myself, about life, and about people throughout this process.  It's life-changing in so many ways, most of them good!

4 comments:

  1. Nancy,
    This morning my daughter Joannah said that she saw you yesterday at school with your bandana on. She told me that she wishes she could wear one like that ... but it would never look as "cool" as your because she would have to try to 'hide' her hair under it. She thinks that you have started a new fashion trend.
    God bless you Nancy. Patti Monroe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilarious Patti! I have started a fashion trend? Never did that before!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nancy,
    I just stumbled across your blog. I'm not even sure how I got here. I was dx in May 2010 with IDC and yes, positive nodes. Had AD/C and taxotere, followed by 34 rads. I am er+ and brca2+ I had a hysterectomy in Feb. and will be doing a bilat. mx sometime soon.
    I am also a teacher. This has been a sucky journey and I still find a year later that the fear gets to me. How do you cope?
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy cow Rachel......you have been dealing with this since May of 2010? I think that dealing with it since the end of December has been crazy!!! How do I cope? Sometimes I don't do it very well but you surely know that. I have a good sense of humor and lots of support so THAT is the biggest help. I have also been so incredibly fortunate that I have not have major issues with chemo....no throwing up, that was one of my biggest fears.

    I am so looking forward to this being "over" but I do have times when I am incredibly afraid that it will never be finished. I try not to focus on that tho because the fear can become really overwhelming. I hope things go well with you. Keep in touch.

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete