Friday, January 14, 2011

I love my oncology doctor

That's a good thing because we will be working together for a really long time!!!  LOTS of information shared today but this wonderful woman sat with us for almost two hours explaining the results, talking through everything and was so incredibly kind.  I was glad to have Connie and Lynn with me.  They will be treating my cancer very aggressively since it appears to be an aggressive cancer......works for me, kill that sucker.

Monday I will have all of the tests scheduled to determine whether it is anywhere else in my body.  They will also do an echo cardio something or other to make sure my heart is ok (no smart ass comments please!) The tests will take place early next week (except for the genetic testing that has to get insurance approval first and I have to meet with a genetic counselor) Next Friday I will hopefully receive the results from the CAT scan, the blood work, and the bone scan.

My chemo will start early in the week of January 24th.  They are going to put in a port that will stay there for a long time.....I am trying not to wig out about what that is....ewwwww!!!!!!

The first round of chemo will last for two months....one treatment every two weeks (my hair will fall out on day 14...........shit) and the second round will last three months with a once a week treatment.  That gets me to summer where I will be looking at surgery (which may change after the genetic testing results are back).  Following recovery from surgery I will be having radiation therapy daily for 5-7 weeks.  I will be somewhat "occupied" until the fall.

Some of the medication will continue for a year or more.  You might think I feel overwhelmed but I actually feel pretty good tonight.  I have some answers, I have a plan, I know what's going to happen.  I said all along that they could do whatever is needed as long as I will live.

I  WILL  LIVE!!!!!

8 comments:

  1. I'm glad you found out some of the action plan. Prayers sent your way!!! Zach said HI!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely better having a plan of attack and that is just what you will do, attack it and win!
    xoxo,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were born to win, but to be a winner, you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.
    -Zig Ziglar
    I'm so happy you met your doctor, you have a plan, and you're feeling good tonight! Keep focusing on the plan and not the cancer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YOU WILL LIVE! I am so glad you got some answers and clarity today. I am also sooo excited that your oncologist is AWESOME! God brings people into your life for a reason, and I believe you waited all these extra days to meet the woman that is going to save your life. I can only imagine that the road ahead will be scary and difficult, but you have so many that love you! Lean on US! Whatever you need, whenever you need it, please let US know! You are so tough, cancer will never get the best of you! You can do this, you can! Here is to life & a Vegas trip when you are cancer free!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I forgot my sign off....duh me!
    Love you!
    Steph Moore

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your friends love you and are with you all the way, Nancy! Sounds like you've hooked up with a wonderful doc. You go, girl!

    maryb

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stay focused friend and kick some cancer ass!:)
    Love you!
    Jessie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do not worry about the port...Don had his from 1 week before chemo started to approx. 3 months after chemo ended. You don't see it when you're wearing clothing, it doesn't hurt, it didn't even hurt when they put it in him. It is just a spiffy and easy device for them to easily give you chemo, IVs, antibiotics if necessary, etc. instead of constantly and always poking at you and inserting tubes. There is no poking once you have the port inserted.
    Thinking of you,
    Terri C

    ReplyDelete